What is Frostdelays?

Zinnia

What is Frostdelays?

Post #1 by Zinnia » Sun Nov 20, 2016 4:48 pm

Frosty wrote:Everyone has been there, ping is too high and your spam rate slows down. You just cannot play your class effectively. The problem is that RO client blocks you from sending skill requests during the animations of most skills, speed of the animation can be based on your attackspeed like Double Strafe or it can be static like Land Protector. There are also some skills that are not limited by client side limitations like AD and SPP. Way to go Gravity you got something right.

By speeding up animations or removing frames to enable yourself to send a new skill request faster is what different types of nodelay edits do. While in many cases it is actually fair and enables you to play on par with people with a better ping, it also allows you to spam much faster than normal which also applies for lower ping players.

Adelays was a step in the right direction. While it removes the ability to spam much faster it is quite inaccurate and too tolerant. Achieving skill spam at 190 aspd rate was often already possible with lower aspd. Yet it still does not fix the actual issue of players who play with higher ping. They still need to use some form of 3rd party programs to achieve the same spam rate as if they had lower ping. Spamming too fast will punish you instead of just ignoring the request meaning everything also needs to be configured properly.

European guilds often did not want to play on American server and vice versa. This was solely because of how much ping affected the gameplay. I have had this thought for quite a while. I want to unite the players. What if there was no restriction on the client itself? This has already been done for potion spam rate ages ago so why not skills too. My idea was the ultimate nodelay cheat. Fully playing the animations at their correct speed but never being restricted from sending skill requests. However, all animation related delays would be checked server side.

After some time we finally found the client edit to completely remove the blockage during animations without changing the animations themselves. This would not have been possible without LinkZ and man I am glad to have him onboard!

What was left to do, was to create a server side delay system that respects the original mechanics like dancing and other animation resets similiar to adelays. It just needed to be much more accurate and non punishing due to the nature of the client changes. However, I am happy to announce that this has also proceeded to a stage where it is ready to be put in use.

The only small drawback of using this client edit is not being able to chain skills, normally if you use a skill during the animation it would be queued up and sent after the animation finishes. You will need to click faster or more accurately, server will reject requests sent too fast. Ping will not be the limiting factor. However, there will be an option to disable the skill latency fix for those that prefer to play without it.

Now, after finally being able to achieve my goals. I present you: Frostdelays — get fucked ping.

Frosty
Last edited by Zinnia on Mon Dec 26, 2016 12:24 am, edited 4 times in total.

Zinnia

Post #2 by Zinnia » Sun Nov 20, 2016 4:49 pm

Adelays has gone old and isn't updated anymore.
It has become rather buggy and unreliable because of the lack of updates, and while emulators like hercules and rathena are regularly updated, Adelays doesn't support their new versions.

It was time for us to introduce a new skill delays system, to completely negate the effect of nodelay and other speedhacks, but also to introduce a new feature : The ability for everyone across the world to play Ragnarok like if they had the server in their house.

For that very reason, I want to thank Frosty and LinkZ for their amazing work in developing Frostdelays. This system is and will remain exclusive to Rise of Midgard. This is a serious step forward for Ragnarok..

If you have any question related to Frostdelays or any bug report to submit, please submit them to the related section of the forum.

Best,

Zinnia
Last edited by Zinnia on Sun Nov 20, 2016 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Patch Notes & Game Information”